Thursday, May 24, 2007

And the weeks continue to fly by.........

Well, the christening is finally set. September 2nd at St. John's Church in Ottawa. Would be happy to have anyone who can come, join in the celebration, but understand that due to the location, might be a bit difficult for one and all! I really wanted to have it before she turns one, but now understand from the Priest that they actually have older children baptized all the time - she says one is three and one is eight at this weeks celebration. It was one of two possible dates, June 24th or the 2nd of September. Mom and Meredith were planning a trip to Montreal for back to school shopping already so I thought it would be great if at least one Godparent could be there. It also gives everyone more notice if they want to attend.

Isabelle's latest trick is "peekaboo". I cover her face with her shirt, or bib, or whatever we have available, and she has started copying the game, which she finds hilarious. Only problem is that she covers her face and whips the article down so quickly that you hardly have time to say "peekaboo" before the shirt or said article is back up again. I guess it will take some time before she really gets the idea. The best is when she has a sundress on, and thinking nothing of propriety, UP it comes, bloomers to show one and all.

Visited with a friend from work today downtown and Isabelle was her usual charming self. Problem as I see it, is that babies show no discrimination whatsoever (not with my friend, read on). Meaning that there are some undesirable types in the downtown corp, in fact, individuals I would rather not have SO near my child, and yet she is just as charmed by them as she would be with the Queen of England. Tries to grab hands and smiles, chuckles for them.....Perhaps that's the greatest thing about babies, and I am just being an overprotective Mother! It was nice to visit properly away from the office. Get the latest and greatest from someone I trust and miss.

The hot weather is here and she is dealing well with it, her mother on the other hand, not so much. Ugh. For some inane reason, I decided to take her for a run yesterday in the 31+ degree weather. Gilles and I have both gone before and shared the Chariot duty, but I had yet to do it on my own. This was NOT the day to start. I tried a simple 6km route and I swear, half way through I was leaning heavily on the handlebars of the Chariot trying to make it to the end. I have a new appreciation for all the parents I see out doing their daily workouts like this. In her case, put 20 pounds in a great, light stroller and you have to make quite the effort on top of the effort you already make to complete your own run. Add to this the fact that you don't have any motivational ipod tunes on - listening for baby noises, and it makes the job quite heady at best. In any case, she slumbered and Mom worked out and we were both happy at the end of the day. We wheeled over to Dow's Lake afterwards to feed the ducks and she kept sleeping; unfortunately missed Mother Goose and her new goslings. So cute! Thus far, either the ducks take a day away from the Lake or Isabelle sleeps on - she has yet to make their acquaintance.

It's funny that you don't really give credit to babies for being as smart as they are. Take the night time ritual for sleeping - she feeds and then reclines on her side with a binky while I soothe her to sleep. If she's not really in the mood, it takes a little longer and I have to employ some sneaky tactics. Like I pretend that I have gone to sleep and see if she'll take the bait. Tonight I saw her using the same tactic on me. Her eyes were closed but she kept peering out of one, just to see if I had maybe woken up and was now ready to play. She kills me. Of course, I outlasted her at the game and she finally went, but it really amazes me how astute they are and how fast they catch on.

Speaking of smart, Isabelle's Grandmaman called this week and left a message which we played on the speakerphone. Isabelle listened quite closely and loved to hear her name being spoken. We decided it was that she knew exactly who had called for her!

Off to sleep - the races start tomorrow for the National Capitol Marathon weekend and we're all running the 5km together. Last year Isabelle was in utero and this year she joins us in the flesh. We did it in 28min last year, including my bathroom break part way through (thank God for port-a-pottis!) and this year her Dad is aiming for 25min. I don't know about that - not because we can't run that fast, I think we could do much better, BUT, you try to get that stroller around thousands of people running the same race. The bathroom stop was probably much faster in the grand scheme of things. We'll let you know how it goes. Just really happy that Gilles is getting back into the swing of things. Makes him a happy boy.

This is a picture of Isabelle in the family room at the Rideau Centre. She was much more into swinging herself on the rockers than being breastfed. Who would have believed that a couple of months ago!


No comments: