So, if you've only just signed on, I suggest you skip this and head to the beginning entries at the bottom. If you're pregnant and semi-nauseous already, you can forget this one. Not going to make you feel any less so as I am about to talk about my marriage - the first year. Tribute to Gilles time, on Isabelle's blog!
Can't believe it's been a year already - so much has obviously happened and our lives have changed so drastically. Through it all, Gilles has been my rock, and SO, here are some of the main reasons he continues to be the best thing that ever happened to me.
- Every morning since we started "sleepovers" and throughout our first year of marriage, I wake to find a post it note from Gilles. They tell me how much he enjoyed the previous day with me, how much he looks forward to coming days, how special I am and how grateful he is to have me. Not every single one of those aforementioned subjects each day, but a selection of a few..........I always know how much I am loved. I have like hundreds saved in a bedroom drawer - not sure what I am going to do with them. Something will come to me.
- He is a great friend to me and many others. He always makes time for any one who needs him, and always has an available ear to listen should you need one. Has not run seriously for a year and yet remains close to all of his running buddies, this even though it can be upsetting as he has not been capable of continuing down the same path they have. On that note, he has been remarkable. To have to quit doing one of the things that makes him most happy - the one real outlet he has and to stay positive, is unbelievable to me. I'd complain to anyone who had a second to listen. He is, however, back on track now and is looking good!
- He loves his family - delights in his nephews and is very close to his parents. Even with the distance between us, keeps them up-to-date with all of our comings and goings, sends all the latest photos of Isabelle and calls frequently. Remembers all the birthdays and always buys really great, thoughful gifts.
- He loves my family as much as I do. Loud, fun and occasionally obnoxious - he embraces all of our craziness. To that end, has supported Isabelle and I through all the many trips we have taken (9 now) in her first few months of life. Has changed countless return dates to later days when I am with my family and scheduled many trips for me knowing how much I always miss being with them.
- He is the very best father I know and equal to my own - wakes up for every feeding to keep me company and brings me reserves (FOOD!), even though I have explained how pointless this is......, has changed as many diapers as I have, has special bath time reserved every night with Isabelle, wakes up with her every morning before work and brings her to me when he has to leave (thus giving me more sleep time), has put countless toys together and plays with her anytime he is home and with us. Gives me my own time to head to the gym, have some quiet reading, computer or phone time every day. Once he's home from work, his main objective is to make my life easier.....and I'm spoiled by this, I know.
- Has made me a better person, but was happy with me when I was completely neurotic and high gear. Is completely and utterly my team mate in everything I do.
- Shows, and takes an interest in all that I love, even the little things like Grey's Anatomy episodes, when I am busy yelling at the tv!
- NEVER expects that I make him dinner or do any of the typically female pursuits in a relationship, just tells me how appreciated they are when I do, and I do - just in case you think this guy is totally being taken!
- Makes me laugh constantly. Last night he had a dream and yelled "Hey you, what are you doing?" I woke him up since he seemed upset and turns out he was trying to stop some people from robbing us in his dreams. How kind! I would have included several expletives and choice words in my dream, but Gilles is, and was so polite about the whole thing. Even when he's not trying, I'm laughing.
- Continues to deal with my post pregnancy belching - something I NEVER did before in any company. I have absolutely no control over them and he still laughs. I'd be annoyed, long ago............
- Let's me have my handbag and other shopping fetishes and more than often, even supports them by purchasing me diverse objects I CANNOT live without for birthdays and other special occasions.
I am sure there is much more, but for now that will have to do.
On an Isabelle note for this week, the search for balls was on - literally and not figuratively. Those who know me know, well, enough said. Meg is on a Mom's forum and got a great idea for the playpen. Fill it with plastic balls and you have, VOILA, a pseudo Ikea play ball area. I used to love it as a kid. In any case, I immediately decided that this idea was genius, and that Isabelle had to have one. Have you ever searched for bulk balls in stores like Walmart, Zellers and Toys r' Us? Not such an easy concept, and even harder an item to try to ask for. Numerous really funny exchanges which I will leave to your imaginations. Suffice to say we have now found our supplier at Walmart - they don't have them anywhere else - and will post photos of her in it next week. Her play area is getting super cool - large mats to play on, tons of toys and a new ball area. I want one for myself. She also picked out her own placemat for the dinner table. Behold, Sponge Bob in all his glory - what was even weirdr was that Gilles knows ALL the characters?? I tried to steer her towards something a bit more abstract, but she was having none of it. We almost walked out of the store with it except the cashier reminded me that I might want to pay for the item if my little girl was taking it home. I've actually made it out of the stores quite a few times with things that Isabelle nabs, or that I put in the stroller to keep her amused, only to have to return moments later to pay, or put it back on the shelf. I could totally have quite the racket going - seems Mom's and babies, especially if they are fussing are a non-issue when they could be the biggest shoplifters of all time.
Isabelle also loves the mirror - no comments on who this reminds you of, please. She has the looks down pat. First, the surprise at seeing herself and then the "Oh, but aren't I gorgeous", and then the interactive playful looks like she's never had a more enjoyable playmate. I swear if she ever wins the Miss Universe pageant, she won't have to master the surprised - "Who me, you really all picked me", look at all. She's already got that one in the bag.
Anyway, that's all for now. Off to bed so I can wake up and head off to the Lac Leamy resort for the night and then the all day spa trip with Renee on Sunday. Maternity leave is so rough on a girl!
1 comment:
Happy Anniversary! I can't believe how much has happened this year... crazy!
This is sooo my favourite photo of Isabelle. Just like her Auntie Mer!
Can't wait to get my hands on her!
Miss you and Love you,
Mer
Post a Comment