Monday, May 07, 2007

Anniversary weekend!

This Saturday morning we visited with Rhiannon and her new beau Matt. Very nice guy - had a coffee and lots to talk about. Rhiannon is visiting Rwanda in June working with Alternative Dispute Resolutions through an International Aid Organization. Very exciting for her, and we bought tickets for her soiree to raise funds later in May. Heard all the Andrews news and got to check out the beau in person - had only heard tale until now. Incidentally, Gilles also ran into Trystan and Katya the next day in the Gatineaus so we got to see amost all the Andrews in one weekend.

Also got to hit the Lac Leamy Resort and Casino a little later. Somewhat different with a newbie in tow, but very posh just the same. Had a great time with Isabelle in the pool. Renee, Shawn and Logan came to visit in the evening and stayed with Isabelle while we gambled a bit. Logan is crawling already, monkey style. Completely fascinating to watch. Not sure if all babies learn this way so we'll wait and see. He literally uses his hands to prop his feet up beneath him, swings them the the side and under him to sit down mid crawl for a breather. Sometimes he even makes it about on his tippy toes with his hands leading the way. I couldn't get enough of it. I imagine this is as close to seeing evolution as you get - makes a person wonder! He and Isabelle were fascinated by each other - she didn't scream at him the way she normally does, perhaps out of sorts on a King size bed she isn't used to? The only time he cried just a bit, she seemed very concerned and gave him a "what's up dude, you got nothin' but love here" look. Killed me.

She was, by all accounts just fine the entire time we were gone and so we managed to gain $50.00 and return to the room. Gilles was down playing blackjack (some newbie player hit on 17 when he was doubled down and crushed his karma) and I was being stalked by some mid 40's guy from slot machine to slot machine, when we met up again and went back to the slots with my last $10.00 in quarters. I kinda liked the last machine I was at and the stalker had wasted several hundred dollars on the one next to me, so we picked those. In about 1 minute, Gilles had won $120.00 and I had made over $10.00. We decided that we were up overall and should call it a night. You have to really spend money to make it at a casino and I'm, as it turns out, not a big risk taker. Maybe you could tell since I am at the quarter slot machines!? Makes me all queasy inside to hear the ding ding of all those machines going off at once and the money being poured into them seems crazy. Must say too that the amount of full-on pleather habilles, burgundy and orange hair didn't help the nausea either! Had a nice dinner and watched a movie after they left - loved the King size bed!

On our anniversary, Renee and I got to spend a good part of the day at the Nordic Spa in Wakefield. Was amazing, and was so nice out that instead of running from hut to hut, we actually lounged and suntanned whilst using the diverse baths and even tried out the waterfall. A guy walking into the steam bath, who is supposed to maintain silence as per the rules, actually said "Holy Shit", because the steam is so overwhelming. I was glad she could see firsthand how intimidating it was walking in for the first time by myself when I went last month. The massages were great, and it was Renee's first time so even more exciting. The boys took the babies for a LONG walk in Gatineau Park and checked out the village - were prepped with bottles, and wipes and all the necessary items. Gilles used the new Mountain Co-op back pack that Meg, Adam and Olan gave us for Christmas. Isabelle was so comfy that she, once more, drifted off and had herself a nice nap mid-hike.

We returned home for a nice family dinner and opened some great cards from family and friends - thank you all. I received a framed collage of special Alyson and Gilles wedding photo stamps from our Canada Post boy to go along with my concert tickets, and a beautiful floral arrangment from the flower shop that did my wedding bouquet. Gilles got a new mailbox (paper anniversary - I figured lettermail inserted here counts), and he hates the one we have. He also got a Louis Vuitton tie to commemorate the Paris trip, which Mom and Dad picked up for me in NY City. Sad to say I didn't get the shopping experience, but we reaped the benefits in any case.

Going to go out and enjoy the tulips this week so will try to post some photos later of the 2007 Tulip Festival Princess. Amelia did such a great job last year.

No comments: