Saturday, June 23, 2007

Busy week!

Isabelle and I had a great week together. Lots of shopping and parties, and a visit with Gramps! We went for a long walk in Westboro and bought her a Patagonia fleece....who KNEW they had them in baby sizes? Not me, and I wish I had since they come as small as 0-3 months and it would have been great to have one for her first fall in Ottawa. So warm and fuzzy, and this way, if truth be told, she will last longer in her 12 month size. We bought Olan a breastfeeding necklace, which she chose herself - she seemed loathe to let it go until I gave her her own and reminded her that she had one and this one was for someone else! Also got her a jean jacket, and a pair of high top Converse - I can't imagine that she could look any cuter, I just want to gobble her up! We also chose all our hanging baskets at the Parkdale market. She loved all the flowers hanging in the stalls, perhaps a bit too much since others will be missing a bud or two that she claimed in her exuberance.

We had a great visit with Dad, who arrived on Thursday, and was not forgotten by Isabelle. No playing strange at all, just happy smiles like she knew exactly who it was, and was thrilled to see someone other than Mom and Dad at the house. She kept us company while we ate, and played with Gramps for long periods both days that he was here. This was great since her Dad was manning the bbq, and her Mom was getting dinner, wrapping Uncle Adam's birthday gift and the like. It was like old times having Dad stay in the basement pad, since Gilles and I have had him stay long term while working on contracts for EC. We both love having him, and it was great to catch up in person, be able to share our days and listen to what's going on with his current contract, and other huge pursuits like the cottage property. Also, Garth is Garth and the two boys never fail to try and outwit each other with sarcasm and inuendos. I love it.

We also attended a work party/bbq on Friday afternoon at my boss' house - gorgeous place on the River. Isabelle loved his bulldog, Clementine and had a great time, as per usual, with so many admirers in one place. She is never fussy and plays for everyone - they all seemed amazed that she would go to them, and not fuss in the least. I don't know if this is normal or not, having her be the first. She seems easy, but I don't have a lot of babies to compare her to. Olan is quite the happy little boy, and only seems to fuss when hungry, or really overtired, which is the same for Isabelle. Does this make them unusual, or are all babies this happy? I don't know, I just thank my lucky stars that she is this way since it has meant tons of travel, and social outings on all of our parts this past year. I don't ever worry about taking her anywhere, and quite frankly, if you breastfeed, you can stay out as long as you like, and not have to worry about forgetting additional supplies at home. We have onhand diaper bag, toys, cheerios and water and that's all she seems to need. Maybe it will get more complicated as she gets older (I can almost see Mom's nodding their heads).

Isabelle also tried her first hummus this afternoon. Olan loved it when he tried it last week, so I made some up and she had a ball. First in eating it, and then in feeding herself. I figure she has to learn, and what's a mess anyway. She makes me laugh :)

I also want to comment on one of the most annoying things about being a new Mom; this is the unsolicited advice part. Not that I have a problem with family, or friends, and especially when it's well meant. Strangers, I have a problem with - case and point, the following episode Gilles dealt with on Saturday morning. He took Isabelle down to the lake quite early with a blanket and prepared to have a bit of fun playing outside, when an older woman approached him and told him Isabelle should have a hat on. He thanked her for the advice, which she then followed up with, "She'll get cancer, you know", and then further, "She'll die, you know"!!!!!!! I mean, c'mon!? The sun is barely up, and he's out for about a half an hour at the most, and she has her sunscreen on. None of which you feel like relaying at this particular point in time because you are so angry that someone would even suggest the rude comments you have just been forced to listen to, and can't respond to BECAUSE you would come off as an uncaring parent. Gilles thought of a few nasty comments he could have followed up with, key one being that she would probably be around a lot less long than our 9 month old daughter, but he curbed his tongue - as if it's polite to be rude to the elderly, even though it should be when they say things like that. Tell us to put a hat on her, fine - well not really but I'll give you that, but the dying part is quite offensive and hardly necessary. After all, didn't we start this journey off with the intent to bring harm to our daughter? Sorry, but I'm still fuming and needed to get this off my chest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! She is too freakin' cute! She already looks so much older and it's only been a few weeks.
Love the jean jacket... very cute.
xox Auntie Mer