Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fun weeks continue......

Witness the new scrunchy face!

So, new mother's get an average of 3.5 hours of sleep a night, and then 5 hours up until 18 months of age. This information courtesy of a new study commissioned in Britain, featured in the Globe on Tuesday. Are you kidding me? So, now I know the mom's who say they get a full night sleep at the age of 1 are full of something. Isabelle is even worse now than she was at 6 months. She wakes up within three hours like clockwork when she first goes down, and then it can be as often as every two hours afterwards. A couple of weeks ago, she had a 12 hour sleep, and only woke up twice. We literally thought we had died and gone to heaven. Last night, we tried a bottle for self soothing and it kind of worked, and she only woke up three times. Best sleep we have had this week, bar none. I feel like a new person today.

Good to the last drop. I've got to remember to show her this photo when she has her first beer. She looks like a frat boy chug a lugging it :)


We've had a great week so far. Lots of fun at the new Kindermusic classes. She has really taken a liking to painted toe nails - which is of course going to be great in the future as a reason we need to have mother/daughter pedicures. I saw her examining one Mom's toes and turned my head to grab us some instruments. When I turned around, she was trying to suck, and or bite the Mom's toes, and I had to intercede. How embarassing :) She's also getting great at showing you where your eyes, and nose and various body parts are, which is great, unless she's at a class with newbies and is trying to poke out the eyes of 5 month old.....ostensibly just trying to show her where her eyes are. Can't really explain to her that the baby really doesn't care at this point, and would rather just have her sight for the remainder of her life.

We're finding it hard to be disapproving when she makes you laugh. The other night we tried to feed her minestrone soup, and a back up (always have to have one) of garlic mashed potatoes and spinach. She promptly spit out the minestrone soup, and it went all down her pant leg. Gilles managed to control himself on that one. She then had the potatoes, and not only spit them out, but right into her hand, and then threw them with much expression to the floor, where they landed with a proverbial plop. Her Dad could not control it any longer and broke out into laughter. We have since discovered that she might not like certain food items, but it goes a long way to just let her feed herself. She no longer wants to be spoon fed, which is fine, unless you discover this when it's a soup night (which of course, we did!). I made some Autumn soup yesterday and she usually loves it. When she refused to eat, we gave her the spoon and she was loving it again. Problem is that the soup, although thick, still ended up behind her on the wall, and all over her person (she did, however, finish the entire bowl). We'll just have to stay away from soups for the next little while, I guess.

Autumn soup - ALSO good to the last drop when you feed it to yourself!


Isabelle was also very upset yesterday, as anyone would be, to discover one of her favourite people has narcolepsy. Her favourite doll is the baby that Auntie Meg, Uncle Adam and Olan gave her for her birthday. The problem Isabelle discovered though is that this baby's eyes shut when you lie her down. Isabelle was playing with her and became very frustrated when the baby would shut her eyes as soon as she was placed down. She would pry them open and try to play, only to have them close again. She would thrust the doll in the air in frustration, and behold, it would open it's eyes once more. The vicious cycle continued for some time and I laughed myself silly. Narcolepsy is a horrible affliction, but somewhat humorous in a doll.

So, we've also made the move to an SUV. My beloved BMW is for sale, and we are set to take over a 2 year lease on a pretty sooped up Honda CRV. The real bonus is that it has a remote starter which will be awesome this winter. I don't like the new models and this is a 2006 so another bonus. I can't believe how much trunk space there is, and will be happy not to cram her stroller in from now on, and also to find myself with some foot space when we leave for the airport, packed to the gills with our luggage. It will be nice to know that Kristy can fit in both kids, and a double stroller, and they'll be toasty warm when she gets them out to the car. But still, I'm sad. I loved our car.

Aunt Leslie's birthday gift for Isabelle arrived by mail today and Isabelle was only too happy to open the box, and to discover that the enclosed was for her. She might be a bit much at Christmas when there are gifts for other people......oops sorry, did someone else want to open one of these?

Presents for me!? Let me at them!



Sorry Mom, don't think I'm going to wait for Dad!


Before I sign off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JESSICA (26th of September) :) Thinking of you and hope you have a great one.

No comments: