New Smyrna beach is on the Atlantic coast, with the Intracoastal waterway to the West. Thus we had the pounding surf and the calmer waters. It was a phenomenal time. Sunny and 30 degrees pretty much everyday - falling asleep listening to the sound of the surf, and Isabelle slept like a log. I was finally able to put her down and enjoy most every evening without running into the room to check on the binky situation, or whatever else usually awakens her. If I could bottle Florida for her, I would as it seemed to be a drug she found entirely to her liking.
She is totally enamoured of her grandparents and had a great time giving Grandpa kisses and shrieking with laughter at her Gran....seems Mom is one of the only people that can make her hysterical. In fact, much to her mother's chagrin, Gran was also the favourite at the pool. She seemed to enjoy swimming with her more that with me! To that end, she adored the pool and had fun sticking her face in the water, kicking her little frog legs and splashing. Total water baby. We're going to head to the open swims at Carleton University now that she has had a taste and seems to love it so much.
Mom and Dad both look amazing. Dad is Slim Jim, tanned and toned - he looks amazing. Mom looks relaxed, and just as good(!) and they are having a great time together seeing and experiencing so much of the sunny State.
The shopping was incredible. We hit the outlets two separate days. Once in St. Augustine and once in Orlando. Let's just say that the Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, Osh Kosh, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, Puma, Coach and Burberry's are all a tad depleted in inventory due to our arrival. Man, what a high. We even found, much to my amazement a STARBUCKS at the Super Target and I made sure to stock up every time we were there. One man told me that I looked like I wasn't going to sleep that night due to all the caffeine I had in my carry tray.Old habits die hard. I was also amazed that I didn't miss Tim's all that much since Dunkin Donuts is really quite good. Who knew!?
There were miles and miles of beach right in front of the condo so I got to run every couple of days - even saw a dead sea turtle one day. Huge thing and somewhat less scary since he wasn't going anywhere and I could check him out quite thoroughly. Not that, I guess, they are very scary, but they ARE huge and therefore a bit intimidating!
Gilles also came and had a great stay. Started off a little slowly since his wife did not remember his flight time correctly (off by an hour), his mother-in-law deleted his e-mail with his arrival and departure so we couldn't check to make sure, and his father-in-law went to one of the three international airports in Orlando to pick him up, just NOT the one he was at. Who could guess!? Ah, but from there it was all sunny skies. He is swimming like a champ - I couldn't believe my eyes. I swear his front crawl form is better than mine! He had fun running too, and is getting back at it finally and therefore extremely happy.
We had a couple of really great meals at different seafood places, and at the condo courtesy of Dad. He fishes right off the beach and had much luck so we had fresh fish a la Garth quite a few times.
So, Gilles left and I stayed for a few extra days. Mom and Dad's friends Martha and John actually left their condo for a couple of days so when the Collins crew arrived, Isabelle and I were very fortunate to make the move to their place and continue to stay in style for the remainder of our trip. It was great to see Olan, Meg and Adam and the kids had a great time interacting and swimming together. Olan looks so much like Adam, especially now that his hair has grown in so much and is in little spikes like his Dad's.....more and more red too. I am afraid he will continue to change so rapidly and we will miss much of it over the coming years. Even since the last time we saw him only a month and a bit before, he has developed so much more. Wriggly, interactive and sitting up - smiling all the time - little man on the way!
It was a really special time and I am very lucky that Isabelle, Gilles and I have been fortunate enough to travel so much and visit with all the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment